Switchman – Baytown Area
Trans-Global Solutions, Inc. –
Summary: responsible for assembling trains and switching railroad cars in a yard. Throws switches and couples, or attaches to cable, to railcars being hauled by locomotive in industrial plants or ship ports by performing the following duties
Typical duties will include but not be limited to the preparation and/or modification of the following:
- Works with Locomotive Engineer with adding/supplying fuel, water, oil and sand to locomotive
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Responsible to perform safety inspections of locomotives and railcars.
- Works with Locomotive Engineer with adding/supplying fuel, water, oil and sand to locomotive.
- Must be able to ascertain nature of mechanical failures to locomotive and/or railcars and make necessary repairs.
- Must be able to make repairs or adjustments to equipment in order to maintain operation of locomotive and/or railcars.
- Must be able to replace knuckles in couplers requiring use of tools and physical exertion.
- Uncouples loaded cars at their destination or uncouples and distributes empty cars to siding or to loading areas.
- Moves switches to route cars and signals Locomotive Engineer to start or stop cars.
- Must be able to operate railcar handbrakes and rail track switches.
- Opens and closes doors or hatches on railcars.
- Opens or closes chute gates or positions railcars on track to load or unload cars.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with the Locomotive Engineer through use of hand signals or two-way radio.
No supervisory responsibilities
Skills and Special Requirements:
- Requires a high degree of professional integrity, ethics, and confidentiality.
- Must possess Safety training/certification as required by customers to work in their facilities and as required by TGS at all TGS locations.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to make quick and sound judgments and manual dexterity.
- Good hand-eye coordination and mechanical aptitude.
- Good hearing and vision
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Provides recognition for results.
- Pre-employment drug and alcohol screening.
- Background screening including previous employment, education, criminal history and driving record verification.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Thousands of employers search for candidates on Indeed