Job Requisition ID: 12561
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is a global learning company with the mission of changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. Among the world’s largest providers of pre-K-12 education solutions, HMH combines cutting-edge research, editorial excellence and technological innovation to improve teaching and learning environments and solve complex literacy and education challenges. HMH’s interactive, results-driven education solutions are utilized by 50 million students in over 150 countries, and its renowned and awarded novels, non-fiction, children’s books and reference works are enjoyed by readers throughout the world. For more information, visit http://www.hmhco.com/.
The Information Technology organization is transforming to realize our mission: Become a leader in HMH’s digital transformation, and as a strategic partner, innovate and deliver highest value, competitive advantage solutions across all corporate and business functions. Our ambition is to be a digital leader through innovation and develop and deliver leading edge technology such as robotic process automation and artificial intelligence to solve some of HMH’s greatest operational business challenges. Our professionals will have business relevant skills to connect our HMH partners to technologies that propel the businesses to deliver the greatest value for HMH and our customers. We are building a team of IT professionals with an insatiable appetite to learn, a relentless focus on customer service, a technological curiosity toward future possibilities, and a creativity in solving business challenges with leading technologies. Our team will find ways to work together, create a sense of community where it’s safe to take risks and learn together, develop our careers, and all have an opportunity to work on new technologies. We will work together, learn together and have fun together. As a team, we will lead HMH’s digital transformation.
The Opportunity – IT Vice President, Marketing & Corporate Communications
This is a key position reporting directly to the IT SVP, Sales, Services, Marketing & Communications. The successful candidate will be an energetic and clear communicator who possesses outstanding organizational management and Marketing & Corp Communications business acumen. This Vice President will have outstanding management skills and will be adept at collaborating with various stakeholders across IT and the business. This leader will have depth of experience working in multiple Marketing & Communications tools and will drive industry best practices utilizing these tools. This includes working with the business partners and stakeholders to understand the business processes, priorities and current risks and issues. This leader will work hand in hand with the business partners to develop tactical roadmaps and solutions to address and solve for the relevant business problems in Marketing & Corporate Communications. The candidate will demonstrate excellent communication skills, judgment, integrity, and leadership. This position is located in Boston and may require approximately 25-50% travel.
Duties & Responsibilities
This leader will work closely with the SVP to assure the Marketing & Corporate Communications priorities are understood and prioritized. Duties & responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Partner with the Marketing & Corporate Communications business partners to understand the current business processes, including pain points and areas that could improve the Marketing & Corporate Communications businesses.
- Understand industry best practices for Marketing & Corporate Communications Tools and drive new capabilities to drive the business roadmaps and strategy.
- Work hand in hand with the business to understand and document priorities to address current issues and to improve the business.
- Drive the development of a strategic roadmap for Marketing & Corporate Communications and help to drive the right priority within IT.
- Ensure projects are sourced with appropriate resources from IT.
- Oversee the execution of projects and programs for Finance, ensuring that the needs of the business are being addressed and that the business stakeholders are integrally involved in the projects.
- Oversee the support and development of Marketing & Corporate Communications team
- Represent the business priorities within the IT governance process.
- Utilize appropriate and frequent communication mechanisms with the business stakeholders to manage their priorities and projects.
Skills & Experience
This person is a self-motivated individual with excellent team management and organizational skills who possesses:
- BA degree in business, finance, or related discipline, MBA preferred.
- 15+ years of business experience working with senior leadership and executive levels of organizations preferred
- 10+ years of experience working with Marketing & Corporate Communications functions
- Managed team size of 15+
- Managed P&L size of $5-10M+
- 5-10+ years of experience working with Marketing & Corporate Communications Tools
- Proficient People manager with experience of performance management and goal setting for team members.
- Ability to take high-level ideas, strategies, and ambiguous objectives, and translate them into clear strategic communication artifacts for multi-level audiences – executives to specific team members.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to drive structured problem solving and solutions across broad stakeholder groups.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively to deal well with shifting priorities and assignments.
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing)
- The person in this position needs to move about inside office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children’s books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.