Graphic Designer I College of Western Idaho
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
POSITION TYPE: Full-Time, Benefit-Eligible
DEPARTMENT: Communications and Marketing
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director, Communications and Marketing
ESTIMATED CLOSING DATE: June 18, 2018
Interested in being a part of a fun, collaborative, and driven team within a dynamic, thriving college? As a member of Communications and Marketing, the Graphic Designer is responsible for translating marketing objectives into creative strategies, concepts and designs, and will determine the most effective way to represent the College of Western Idaho brand and identity across multiple media channels. This position will be a creator of graphic design for collateral, advertising, promotions, as well as various digital implementations for the web and social media. This role is people-oriented and involves working with internal clients, pitching designs, understanding business objectives, and collaborating with others such as project managers, web developers, and writers on the Communications and Marketing team. The Graphic Designer is expected to maintain brand standards, be self-motivated, and have impeccable design skills.
**Applicants may be required to submit a work sample as part of the selection process.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Develop and deliver creative solutions that meet the brand objectives of College of Western Idaho and advance our brand strategy across multiple media channels.
- Provide excellent customer service and communications skills.
- Collaborate with Creative Manager and Communications and Marketing department on design.
- Review and analyze project specifications to produce design concepts.
- Lead multiple projects from concept through completion under tight deadlines and budget constraints, ensuring all work meets design standards and expectations from the Creative Manager.
- Work with the Communications and Marketing team to generate ideas and develop effective, results-driven creative marketing concepts.
- Promote continual creative improvement and actively contribute to a culture of innovation, excellence, and accountability.
- Create designs, concepts, and sample layouts based on knowledge of layout principles and esthetic design concepts.
- Determine size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy, and select style and size of type.
- Develop graphics and layouts for College illustrations, logos, and Internet websites.
- Review final layouts and suggest improvements as needed.
- Prepare illustrations or rough sketches of material, discussing them with clients or supervisors and making necessary changes.
- Maintain archive of digital assets, College publications, advertising, and previous work products.
- Work with supervisors in developing and maintaining guidelines for branding, logos, CWI seal, and any additional guideline needs.
- Establishes project specifications to obtain required quotes for vendor services.
- Inspects and approves vendor progress by proofing systems.
- Monitors printing production.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- B.A. or B.S. Degree in Communications, Visual Arts, Graphic Design or computer-related field.
- Two years’ minimum experience, three preferred, as a designer with design studio, agency, or in-house creative group.
- Prior experience serving in a communications and marketing office in higher education and/or similar entity, preferred.
- Experience with Web, mobile, and email design and marketing, preferred.
- Experience with video and multimedia design and marketing, preferred.
- Must be self-motivated with exceptional ethics, positive attitude, and high attention to detail. Have a demonstrated ability to work independently and exhibit excellent judgment.
- Hands-on knowledge of a range of industry standard software including Adobe Creative Suite, Acrobat, Microsoft Office, GoToMeeting, Web CMS, and email marketing platforms such as MailChimp.
- Experience in HTML and CSS programming a plus.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to multitask.
- Sophisticated sense of web/print design, photography, and typography, along with integrity, discretion, and creativity.
SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION MATERIALS
In addition to a cover letter and resume, please submit a digital portfolio for review showcasing your range of expertise. We would love to see work you have already created.
CWI OFFERS A COMPETITIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE THAT INCLUDES
- Affordable health insurance coverage – medical, dental, and vision
- Opportunity for flexible spending and dependent care accounts
- Generous retirement plan, depending on position, may include:
- Participation in Public Employee Retirement System of Idaho (PERSI) defined benefit plan, or
- Mandatory employee contribution of 6.79% of earnings
- Employer contribution of 11.32% of earnings
- Participation in the Optional Retirement Plan
- Mandatory employee contribution of 6.97%
- Employer contribution of 11.24% of earnings with 100% immediate vesting
- Employer covered life and disability insurance
- Additional employee, spouse, and dependent life insurance available for purchase
- Access to Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- CWI tuition reduction for employees, spouse, and dependents (restrictions apply)
- Reciprocal agreements with other Idaho colleges and Universities (restrictions apply)
- Vacation accrues based on length of service with CWI
- Sick Leave accrued at a rate of 8 hours per month
- Ten paid holidays per year
- Employee discount programs from many local businesses
Thousands of employers search for candidates on Indeed